Welcome Outreachy applicants -- Fall 2021!

Welcome prospective Outreachy applicants! ODK-X is excited to be participating in Outreachy this fall! This program provides awesome opportunities for folx under-represented in open source and tech to complete paid internships.

About ODK-X
Data collection and management is a key component of social good efforts ranging from polio elimination to rainforest conservation to labor justice and the ODX-X project provides a tool suite which contains tools to meet those needs. ODK-X is a platform to build custom apps that enable users to manage and visualize their data just as well in the field as they do in the office. Users of the ODK-X suite include the World Mosquito Program, Mercy Corps, and St. Catherine University.

Communication
If you have any questions about internships in general, please ask in the comments for this post! Administrators may split some of the longer threads into their own topics if needed but please start all general internship forum conversations in this thread.

We prefer you use the forum for communication so all time zones can have a chance to respond. If you have a question that needs a real-time answer or just want to chat, you can find us on the internship Slack (Note that this invite link expires every so often, let us know below if it is not working). We also have channels for specific topics.

We aim to have all conversations in public to increase transparency and knowledge sharing. In this spirit, please refrain from messaging community members directly!

Projects
These high-level descriptions should serve as a starting point to understand the various projects:

Getting Started

• Read over this post and Outreachy’s guidance for contributing very carefully and ask below if you have any questions
  • Look over the ODK-X website and ODK-X documentation to familiarize yourself with the project
  • Find an issue in the Issue Queue tagged “easy win” or “good first issue” that you want to work on and comment to claim it. Try to find an issue related to the project you want to work on if possible, or at least in the same codebase. The project pages above link to the appropriate Github repositories.
  • Join the internship Slack and talk to community members and mentors.
    UPDATED Oct 22 Join the Internship Slack Link: Slack

Applying to be an ODK-X intern
If you make and record a contribution you can then, at the end of the contribution period, submit your final application by November 5.

We recommend starting to discuss your project ideas as soon as you can! The earlier you start your contributions, the stronger your application will be.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @elmps2018 - note that the Outreachy link 404s because of the double forward slashes at the end of the URL.

1 Like

@erobinson, thanks for pointing this out. I have fixed the post.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Shristi Jain, an outreachy applicant from India. I would love to contribute to the project titled " Update ODK-X’s Tests to most recent Android Testing Framework". I am proficient in Java and Android Studio.
I would like to extend my warm regards to the mentors of the project @W_Brunette and @elmps2018 and request them to guide me on how to get started with the contribution phase and any suggestions on which issues to address first.

2 Likes

Hello Shristi_Jain,

You can pick an issue in the Issue Queue tagged “easy win” or “good first issue” to work on and comment to claim it. Try to find an issue related to the project you want to work on if possible, or at least in the same codebase.

You can read through the ODK-X documentation to get an understanding of the different ODK-X Tools. We also have a YouTube Channel.

2 Likes

Sure, I will do that. Thank you @Esther-Phebe.

1 Like

Hello, I am Basil Shey and Outreachy applicant. I am interested in the project “Explore Mapping With Leaflet and Build an Example ODK-X App” .

I have gone over the ODK-X website and understand that ODK-X that helps in building data management applications that can run on android devices. I have a good knowledge in Java, JavaScript, Html, installing apks on android devices and Github.

2 Likes

Hello Team, my name is Jude “Jay” Ukana, My pronouns are He/Him, I am an Android Developer based in Lagos, Nigeria. I am interested in growing and learning all i can about Android Mobile Development. I am an Outreachy 2021 fall Intern Applicant, and got to learn about ODK-X through Outreachy’s project lists.

As an Android Developer I choose to be involved in ODK-X, because, this project appeals to me most because of the field data collection problem the project seeks to solve as well as it’s android framework. I will be contributing to the “Update ODK-X’s Tests to most recent Android Testing Framework project”. My GitHub profile is - JudeUk (Jude Ukana) · GitHub.

When i am not learning new things in Android development, i love to listen to music, play video games, play games such as Jenga and Charade with friends and i love meeting new people.

@elmps2018 @Esther-Phebe thanks for your mentorship in advance.
I need help getting started with contributing to this project and would appreciate any help i can get.
I am Glad to be part of the communinty :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone, I am Deborah Joseph. I am an applicant for the Outreachy 2021 fall internship. I would like to contribute to the ODK-X project #4 (Update ODK-X’s Tests to most recent Android Testing Framework).
My github profile is - [Github] (josdebum (Joseph Deborah Oluwabunmi) · GitHub)
@Esther-Phebe @elmps2018, I look forward to been mentored by you in the course of the program.
I am excited to be a part of the community.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information @Esther-Phebe, I will also work on this.

1 Like

Hello, everyone!

My name is Cumi, and I’m an Outreachy applicant for the December cohort. Excited to be contributing to the Improve ODK-X Sync-Endpoint Documentation project. Looking forward to the experience.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I am Oyinkansola Awosan, an Outreachy applicant based in Nigeria. I love working with tools that have good documentations. I look forward to making meaningful contributions to this project and improving the ODK-X Tables and Troubleshooting Documentation
Thank you everyone.
@elmps2018 the internship slack link isn’t working anymore. Can a new lin be provided? Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi @Awosan_Oyinkansola! I saw you introducing yourself on Slack – were you able to get the link to work? It seemed to still be working to me, but let me know if there are any difficulties.

1 Like

Hello Everyone happy to be contributing. My name is Alamin Juma from Kenya and I came here to learn. I would wish to contribute to Android Testing

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Setting up docs development environment

We have posted a preview release of ODK-X version 2.1.9. Outreachy applicants should help test the preview release.

Please file an issue if you find a problem.

1 Like

Hello Everyone, my name is Kenechukwu Iloegbunam and I am from NIgeria. I am an Outreachy applicant and I am interested in working on the ‘Explore Mapping with Leaflet and Build an Example ODK-X app’ project. I would love an active link to join the slack channel too.

@Kenechukwu_Iloegbuna

Updated Slack Invite Link: Slack

Check out the slack channel “explore-leaflet” as I put an issue there that will be useful in understanding the Android WebView setup.

1 Like

Thank you @W_Brunette

2 Likes