Can odk scan work with aggregate 1.4

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I am interested in using ODK scan for data collection but some things are maybe not clear to me given the research I have done online as there is not so much documentation

1. Can ODK scan be used with aggregate 1.4? That is what I have set up on my server and I am not sure if SCAN is only built for ODK 2. I noticed that the video tutorials for scan on YouTube are from 2014 ago and maybe it works with aggregate 1.4?
  2. I have tried installation of scan in my android device from the link Releases · odk-x/scan · GitHub by renaming the downloaded zip files to .apk and trying to install but I get the error “there was a problem parsing the package” . Also, these files are zipped and not apk, so I have tried extracting them and am not sure if there are steps to take to complete installation by unzipping?

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
Aggregate 1.4

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Attempt the installation of odk scan on an android device from the link Releases · odk-x/scan · GitHub by renaming files to .apk from .zip and running installation. Also I have attempted installation by extracting the zip files but am not sure what next?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have researched online for ways to install .zip files on android forms and if odk scan works with aggregate 1.4

Possibly… you can give it a try. See the instructions but you do need later versions of Aggregate, we suggest 15 or higher. ODK Aggregate Tables Extension — ODK-X Docs

Also keep mind the data between the ODK 1 and ODK 2 side do not intermingle.

Thanks so much @W_Brunette for response. My question however is about odk scan where I have followed the documentation to download and install it on my android device but I get an “error there was a problem parsing the package” and I was wondering if there was a way to just install the app by extracting it from the zip file downloaded. Also I was wondering if it works with aggregate 1.4 since its an odk 2.0 feature? Maybe I will have to just use odk 2.0 since so many tables are as you have stated need to be updated. Thanks.

My appologies I should have been more specific. What I meant was that there are multiple versions of Aggregate 1.4 (it’s a 3 digit code). The instructions I linked you to, suggest using Aggregate 1.4.15, which is what I meant with my 15 comment.

Scan is an ODK 2 tool, therefore, you cannot use it without using the ODK 2 pathways. Scan has not been fully released, people use it and make contributions as needed. If you would like to use it you will need to create your own APK using Android Studio. If you do not have the technical skills to do that, then using preview code may not be the right decision for you.

To be even more clear, ODK Scan depends on ODK Services to manage the database and communication to Aggregate. If you make you own Scan APK you will also need to make your own Services APK so the secuirty keys match…

Thanks @W_Brunette I will clone the code and create an apk to see how it works. I will also use aggregate 2 for this so as to avoid the pain of having to upgrade my current aggregate just for this. Thanks so much for making this clear. Cheers!

Thanks again for making it more clear. I will try create a services and scan apk. Just one question maybe, is there a timeline maybe when scan is predicted to be ready for use by the development team? I know maybe I should ask this question in another forum but just in case you know :slight_smile: Thanks again :slight_smile:

Actually, Aggregate 2 no longer works with ODK 2 (name change is happening this month). You should stay with Aggregate 1.4.15.

Thanks again @W_Brunette will stay on 1.4.15.