ODK 2.0, what about it?

Hi, we are looking for news about ODK 2.0 project, i mean, we found this page ODK-X documentation — ODK-X Docs but it seems that the entire project is stopped to oct 2016 in the alpha version… so our question are:

• is there a new project that has been created and developed to subsitute the odk 2.0?
  • if not, is there a future for odk 2.0?
  • why you stopped it? no person working on it?

thank you very much for you time
Angelo

Dear Angelo,

ODK 2.0 is still going! It is just an issue of the web page being migrated to here:

http://opendatakit-dev.cs.washington.edu/2_0_tools

ODK 2.0 is up to rev218/219 (production versions) and is being updated ~every month. The revised versions are great, although there are substantial changes from rev208 if you have used that in the past.

Check out the new version and let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Caroline

Hi Angelo,

As @elmps2018 stated, ODK 2.0 work has continued unabated, its just an issue of website migration. The future of the opendatakit.org website is being figured out right now here, and both ODK 1 and ODK 2 will have their own presence there.

Please use the link @elmps2018 provided and give the tools a try. Post your questions here if you have any!

Regards,
Jeff

Thank you very much guys!! that’s super news!!! but, one question, is threre a compatibility between ODK 1 and ODK 2 forms? i mean, we have a lot of xls and xml created for the 1…

Thank you very much
Angelo

Dear Angelo,

There is not a simple migration path between the two. Which to use depends on what you need. If ODK 1.0 is meeting your needs, it continues to be updated and improved, so you may not want/need to switch to 2.0.

There’s a good discussion of the differences at:
http://opendatakit-dev.cs.washington.edu/toolselector

Best,
Caroline

Hi Caroline, i spent a few hours to try to get the general idea about the ODK 2.0 logic… but i see a lot of difference between the 1.0 version but i think it’s because i cannot correctly understand the aim of the 2.0… i mean, why in the very first documentation http://opendatakit-dev.cs.washington.edu/2_0_tools/release/212/application_designer#overview) you speak about android files layout? i mean, we used ODK 1.0 just to create a survey but till now we used xls and xml files and then we loaded in the collect app… linked to an aggregate server and so on… but now it seems that ODK 2.0 permit create directly our collect app?

Probably you need to know why i need to know about 2.0:
a) we need to send a survey from an user a to a user B, for example, because B has to confirm data that A filled till that moment, and than resend the survey to A to continue the survey till end.
b) We need to load dynamically the itemsets values
c) we need to create PDF generated from the survey…

so, can you tell me if the 2.0 is the right way or not?

Thank you very much
Angelo

Dear Angelo,

I am not sure I understand your question about ODK 2.0 permitting you to create directly your app… If it’s helpful you can look at the slides I posted here:

Which explain the different tools and how they relate. You do still have the whole workflow of designing, converting, putting in Aggregate, etc.

You can send surveys across users, that’s row access filters in here:
http://opendatakit-dev.cs.washington.edu/2_0_tools/release/218/data_permission_filters

I don’t know any way to load dynamically itemset values, or create pdfs, maybe others have ideas.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Caroline

Hi Angelo,

To try to answer your questions, it sounds like:
a) You need bidirectional synchronization. This is something you only get from ODK 2 for now.
b) Dynamically loading data, whether from your database or an external source, is something ODK 2 can do for you. I am not sure the current state of ODK 1
c) ODK 2 will not create a PDF for you. You can export your data into csv files and find another tool to do that.

That being said, as you’re finding out, the ODK 2 tools are more complicated to use than ODK 1. I would definitely recommend checking out the tutorials posted by @elmps2018. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how to build for ODK 2 and whether it is a good fit for your team.

Jeff Beorse