ODK Sync endpoint -- Where is data stored on the server?

Related to ODK 2.0

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
When I look in the PostGRESql database, there are no data tables. There is no data from my forms. Is the data only stored in the JSON files? If this is true, why is there a database?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Sync endpoint–default configuration
Hosted on a DigitalOcean machine with Docker pre-configured

Thanks!
Fred

Hi Fred,

The ODK 2 tools do use the database. The tables are not initially populated with anything until you synchronize your application and its data to the Sync Endpoint. Do you have data in your database on the Android device? What do you get when you export data link to instructions?

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I have sync-ed the application and data to the server, but when I try to access with pgAdmin, I can’t see any tables with form data. I can see the data on the tablet with I export:

And I can see the data on the endpoint server in the rows:

Am I accessing the Postgresql database correctly? Or is there a setting to turn on storing data in the database?

-Fred

Hi Fred,

By default, we store the data in the odk_sync schema. You will find your data there.

Thanks Li Lin,
I rebooted the server, and then viola, the odk_sync schema and my tables appeared. I’m not sure why this was required or why a reboot changed the database, but it worked.
Fred

I have had issues with the server when it is under resourced. Are you using a free tier AWS server? When I use that level I have to restart my server from time to time because it begins to behave strangely. But when I provide more RAM it works just fine. The free tier has 1GB of RAM. We don’t have official recommended specs, but 8GB of RAM has worked great for me.

I’m using a cloud server with 4GB RAM. Overall, the performance seems to be good. It might need more resources when we move into production. At the linux console, it did prompt me for a reboot, so it could be related to software updates on the machine.