ODK V2.0 clarification on documentation on "Creating and loading a form into ODK Survey"

Hello all,

I’ve recently started to familiarise myself with ODK v2.0 and have been creating some simple forms and following the steps here to transfer the converted xlsxform to my device.

However, I don’t fully understand what I should be doing in Step 8 of the process on the linked page and when I skip that step, the adbpush unsurprisingly gives me an error.

I would be grateful if someone could clarify what files I should be adapting in Step 8 of that process.

Thank you very much.

Best,
Patrick

Dear Patrick,

For step 8, do you mean: “Repeat the edit, conversion, and save steps to update the columns in your table and your survey form.”?

If so, I think it’s just saying that you repeatedly modify your excel and convert this until your form is ready to push to the tablet.

The adbpush step is rather tempermental to get for the first time. What error message are you getting? The tablet settings may also be an issue.

Here’s a slide deck for when we trained on this:
05_ODK Pushing Surveys from App-designer to Tablet 01.14.18.pptx (1.4 MB)

Actually, have you checked out this post and materials:

They may help.

Best,
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

See responses inline in blue

Thanks again for the rapid support!

Best,

Patrick

Dear Patrick,

Not sure where inline blue responses are?

Best,
Caroline

Hope it works better this time. See below

Thanks!

Patrick

elmps2018 Caroline
May 18
Dear Patrick,

For step 8, do you mean: “Repeat the edit, conversion, and save steps to update the columns in your table and your survey form.”?

That’s exactly what I meant.

If so, I think it’s just saying that you repeatedly modify your excel and convert this until your form is ready to push to the tablet.

This part is still a bit unclear for me. I obtain all three files: definition.csv, properties.csv and formDef.json upon completion of step 6. Could you give me an example of the kinds of modification I would still need to do in step 8 in order to have my form ready to push to the tablet. It seems to me that after step 6, my form is ready to go, or am I wrong?

The adbpush step is rather tempermental to get for the first time. What error message are you getting? The tablet settings may also be an issue.

Here’s a slide deck for when we trained on this:
05_ODK Pushing Surveys from App-designer to Tablet 01.14.18.pptx (1.4 MB)

The presentation looks like it may help solve my problem.

I’m currently away from the computer where I installed the App designer etc.

I’ll run through all the steps again on Monday and get back to you.

Actually, have you checked out this post and materials:

Community contributions to upcoming ODK 2.0 documentation refreshDocumentation
Hi Everyone! This past summer we did a two-day training on ODK 2.0 and wanted to share the materials here. I am going to share them in two batches. This first batch is a series of slides for workflow and setup in ODK 2.0. We have a second batch of materials forthcoming of hands-on exercises (and excel “solutions”!) in programming the survey, but we gave the training in rev208 so the team is chipping away at updating those to rev218. Stay tuned! Slides are numbered in sequence: 01_Introduction…

They may help.

Hadn’t seen these. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best,
Caroline

Best,

Patrick

Dear Patrick,

So if you have finished Step 6, your form is ready to go. I would say that Step 7 is not actually a step, so much as information about the results of Step 6. Step 8 is also a bit misleading, you can skip this, it’s just saying that if you need to make changes, iterate here before pushing to the tablet.

Hope that helps and this all works when you get a chance to test. Let us know!

Best,
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Thanks for that clarification.

It makes perfect sense now!

Will follow up and let you know.

Thanks again!

Best,

Patrick

Dear Caroline,

Finally back checking out ODK v2.0 after other activities took over.
Seemed the difficulty was due to the absence of the appropriate USB driver (google for Nexus tablet, in my case).

All works fine after installation of the appropriate driver.
Thanks again for support.
Best,
Patrick