Welcome Outreachy Applicants - Spring 2021

Welcome prospective Outreachy applicants! ODK-X is excited to be participating in Outreachy this summer. This program provides awesome opportunities for folx under-represented in open source and tech to complete paid internships.

About ODK-X
Data collection and management is a key component of social good efforts ranging from polio elimination to rainforest conservation to labor justice and the ODX-X project provides a tool suite which contains tools to meet those needs. ODK-X is a platform to build custom apps that enable users to manage and visualize their data just as well in the field as they do in the office. Users of the ODK-X suite include the World Mosquito Program, Mercy Corps, and St. Catherine University.

Communication
If you have any questions about internships in general, please ask in the comments for this post! Administrators may split some of the longer threads into their own topics if needed but please start all general internship forum conversations in this thread.

We prefer you use the forum for communication so all time zones can have a chance to respond. If you have a question that needs a real-time answer or just want to chat, you can find us on the internship Slack. We also have channels for specific topics.

We aim to have all conversations in public to increase transparency and knowledge sharing. In this spirit, please refrain from messaging community members directly!

Projects
These high-level descriptions should serve as a starting point to understand the various projects:

Getting Started

• Read over this post and Outreachy’s guidance for contributing very carefully and ask below if you have any questions
  • Look over the ODK-X website and ODK-X documentation to familiarize yourself with the project
  • Find an issue in the Issue Queue tagged “easy win” or “good first issue” that you want to work on and comment to claim it. Try to find an issue related to the project you want to work on if possible, or at least in the same codebase. The project pages above link to the appropriate Github repositories.
  • Join the internship Slack and talk to community members and mentors.

Applying to be an ODK-X intern
If you make and record a contribution you can then, at the end of the contribution period, submit your final application by April 30.

We recommend starting to discuss your project ideas as soon as you can! The earlier you start your contributions, the stronger your application will be.

5 Likes

Hello Caroline, I hope you are well.

My name is Esther-Phebe, I am an Outreachy applicant from Lagos, Nigeria and my pronouns are she/her. I am really excited to make contributions to ODK-S, I am fairly new to open source contribution and I plan to learn a lot from this experience. I want to make contributions to " New Date Prompts for ODK-X Survey".

Thank you for the welcome and detailed guidance. I hope you have a great day.

3 Likes

Nice to meet you all!

Hello, I am Nathaly from Caracas, Venezuela.

I am a software developer and mid-level technician in computer science who graduated from a technical school and who is currently taking full advantage of her enrollment in her Udacity and UoPeople programs.

From the very first moment I saw the project listed, I knew I would be making contributions to this one. Now that I have the opportunity to do so, I am glad to collaborate with you all and to get closer to my main purpose in life.

Thank you for being letting us be part of this.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
I am Manpreet, from India. I am an Outreachy applicant. Though I have some projects in HTML, CSS and Javascript, I am fairly new to open source. I would love to contribute to the project: New Date Prompts for ODK-X Survey.
The slack channel link appears to be broken. Can I please get a new invite for the channel?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m Sayo. I’m an Outreachy applicant. I’m super excited to make contributions to ODK-X. I have past experience using Docker, Kubernetes and Cloud although I’m new to working on Open source projects. Looking forward to working with the team and learning from everyone! Best regards!

2 Likes

Hi @manpreet! Can you try the link again? It seemed to be working for me and others just now… If you are still having issues please let us know the details or share a screenshot.

Hey! I tried again. Its still not working (also I am logged in to slack, not sure why the tab says create account). I’ve attached the screenshot below.

1 Like

@manpreet Thanks for pointing this out. The links do expire after 30 days (though it still works if you have already used the link before the expiration). Here is a new link to join slack for the next 30 days.

https://join.slack.com/t/odk-x/shared_invite/zt-ok1386ky-G_Jow9Ctl_qvZkIijdu42A

1 Like

thanks a lot! :grinning:

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

My name is Aubin Crispy and I’m an outreachy applicant. I’m excited to be here and I look forward to an amazing experience.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Prarthana Kumari from India an outreachy applicant this summer, looking forward to working with the community. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!! This is Vaidehi from India. I think I am little late here due to some health issues. But I am really excited and looking forward for contributing to this amazing community.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I am Bukola, from Nigeria. I am an Outreachy applicant. I would be contributing to the project: New Date Prompts for ODK-X Survey. I have experience in HTML, CSS and Javascript. Looking forward to having amazing experience working with mentors and the team. Excited to learning from everyone.
Regards

2 Likes

Document barcode scanner intent for Tables #119

In case I want to work on this issue, is commenting on the issue on Github enough?

1 Like

Once you comment on the issue, a mentor will assign the issue to you.

1 Like