Change folder name 'default' in Android structure

All,
On this page: Building an Application — ODK-X Docs
there is this text:

The default **AppName** for the ODK-X tools is *default.* However, when configured appropriately, the ODK-X tools can run under another **AppName** , accessing configuration and saving data in a different subdirectory under opendatakit.

I would like to do that: set up two completely independent ODK-X apps that could be used on the same device. I think the first step is to figure out the above details. Can anyone point me to the appropriate place for defining the sub-folder name for my apps to something other than ‘default’?

The obvious next question is how to begin designing the second system. I think I need to have a completely separate ODK-X designer system and simply work within this new, independent copy of odk-x designer (instead of different forms within, which is what the demo examples do).

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Hi @tghoward!

I think you can pick whatever name you like (aside from default). Within the opendatakit folder, on the tab, you can copy default and paste it in with a new name, like app123, and then push a different app as well. And yes, you do want two entirely separate app designers. I think there are some more details here:
https://docs.odk-x.org/app-designer-launching/?highlight=default

@elmps2018, thank you for the reply! I’m still a bit confused. I found the spot in the gruntfile that refers to the folder (line 118),
appName: 'default',

I changed that to my new name (“nyram”) and, hooray, it pushed data to a new folder on the device. I then deleted the ‘default’ folder from the device, tried to run tables and survey, and neither could see the new folder. The ‘default’ folder was recreated by the apps.

Are the steps you are suggesting that I push to the ‘default’ folder on the gadget, then copy those data to a new folder (‘nyram’), then try running it? I tried that (and renamed ‘default’ to ‘bad’) and get an Error 404 when trying to open ODK-X tables. Resetting caused the apps to recreate the ‘default’ folder.

It seems like I need to find a place to point the apps to the non-standard folder. Probably something simple!

Tim

I think(?) that you are now on to the issue of launching with a different appname and am hoping this will help: ODK-X Survey — ODK-X Docs

That’s it! Thank you!

1 Like