ODK 2.0 'Getting Started' - Protocol error

Hi,

I have been learning more about ODK 2.0 and played around with some of the
‘demo’ apps, I have installed Survey, Tables and Services on my device.

I went back to the ‘getting started’ guide to start from scratch:
https://opendatakit.org/use/2_0_tools/active-distribution/2-0-getting-started-rev-208/

Followed the steps to join:
https://opendatakit-simpledemo.appspot.com

With an anonymous account, however after 'sync now, a few notifications
about syncing configuration etccome up, I get a: ‘Protocol error: please
verify that the server and device are compatible’

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rich

Are you using the rev 208 software APKs on opendatakit.org, or did you
build the software from github?

The github software has changes in progress that would cause this problem.

Another possibility (not true in this case) is that the quota has been
exhausted on that site. Verify that by browsing to that site. If quota is
exhausted, you could also get this error.

··· On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Richard Fletcher wrote:

Hi,

I have been learning more about ODK 2.0 and played around with some of the
‘demo’ apps, I have installed Survey, Tables and Services on my device.

I went back to the ‘getting started’ guide to start from scratch:
https://opendatakit.org/use/2_0_tools/active-distribution/2-
0-getting-started-rev-208/

Followed the steps to join:
https://opendatakit-simpledemo.appspot.com

With an anonymous account, however after 'sync now, a few notifications
about syncing configuration etccome up, I get a: ‘Protocol error: please
verify that the server and device are compatible’

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rich

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“ODK Community” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Ah, OK. There was a bug fix in ODK Aggregate 1.4.13 that is affecting this
site.

Prior to 1.4.13, there was a bug that erroneously placed table-specific
initialization files under the app-level files heading.

Beginning with 1.4.13, these files live under the table-specific list of
files. You can see this by going to the ODK Tables / Manage App Level Files
sub-tab. The files that are under assets/csv/geotagger/… should be under
the ODK Tables / Manage Table Files sub-tab, but aren’t.

This is what is causing the protocol errors that you are seeing.

I’ll update the release notes and remove the offending files so that they
don’t cause this error (the files are only used for initialization of this
demo, and don’t affect the interactions of an ordinary device).

··· On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Mitch Sundt wrote:

Are you using the rev 208 software APKs on opendatakit.org, or did you
build the software from github?

The github software has changes in progress that would cause this problem.

Another possibility (not true in this case) is that the quota has been
exhausted on that site. Verify that by browsing to that site. If quota is
exhausted, you could also get this error.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Richard Fletcher skutbag@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have been learning more about ODK 2.0 and played around with some of
the ‘demo’ apps, I have installed Survey, Tables and Services on my device.

I went back to the ‘getting started’ guide to start from scratch:
https://opendatakit.org/use/2_0_tools/active-distribution/2-
0-getting-started-rev-208/

Followed the steps to join:
https://opendatakit-simpledemo.appspot.com

With an anonymous account, however after 'sync now, a few notifications
about syncing configuration etccome up, I get a: ‘Protocol error: please
verify that the server and device are compatible’

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rich

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“ODK Community” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

I’ve removed the offending files, so the sync should work now.

And the fix is present beginning in 1.4.11.

The error was in the updating the ODK Aggregate version on this site
without deleting and resetting the server configuration to shift the
tracking and classification of these files into a different database table.

··· On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Mitch Sundt wrote:

Ah, OK. There was a bug fix in ODK Aggregate 1.4.13 that is affecting this
site.

Prior to 1.4.13, there was a bug that erroneously placed table-specific
initialization files under the app-level files heading.

Beginning with 1.4.13, these files live under the table-specific list of
files. You can see this by going to the ODK Tables / Manage App Level Files
sub-tab. The files that are under assets/csv/geotagger/… should be under
the ODK Tables / Manage Table Files sub-tab, but aren’t.

This is what is causing the protocol errors that you are seeing.

I’ll update the release notes and remove the offending files so that they
don’t cause this error (the files are only used for initialization of this
demo, and don’t affect the interactions of an ordinary device).

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Mitch Sundt mitchellsundt@gmail.com wrote:

Are you using the rev 208 software APKs on opendatakit.org, or did you
build the software from github?

The github software has changes in progress that would cause this problem.

Another possibility (not true in this case) is that the quota has been
exhausted on that site. Verify that by browsing to that site. If quota is
exhausted, you could also get this error.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Richard Fletcher skutbag@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have been learning more about ODK 2.0 and played around with some of
the ‘demo’ apps, I have installed Survey, Tables and Services on my device.

I went back to the ‘getting started’ guide to start from scratch:
https://opendatakit.org/use/2_0_tools/active-distribution/2-
0-getting-started-rev-208/

Followed the steps to join:
https://opendatakit-simpledemo.appspot.com

With an anonymous account, however after 'sync now, a few notifications
about syncing configuration etccome up, I get a: ‘Protocol error: please
verify that the server and device are compatible’

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rich

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “ODK Community” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com


Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Wow, that’s a quick fix!

That’s done it, I have now been able to sync to the demo server, complete
the geotagger survey adding a point, then syncing all of that to my own
instance of Aggregate.

As you probably have figured out by now but to confirm I was using the APKs
from the website, I had not built myself through Git

Thanks so much