ODK 2 Developer Call - 2018-05-22

ODK 2 Developer call

TIME: :sparkles: Tuesday, May 22th, 2018 at 4:00-5:00 UTC (Monday, May 21th @ 9 pm PDT) :sparkles: (convert to local time)

Note: there are two ODK 2 developer meetings a month at different times to accommodate interested parties in various parts of the world.

We will be using Open Data Kit’s Uber Conference system:
LINK: https://www.uberconference.com/opendatakit

Please post below topics you would like to discuss at the meeting :point_down:

Hello everyone, I am Aditya Laddha a sophomore studying in BITS Pilani, India. I have experience of more than 2 years in building, integrating and testing applications for mobile and tablet devices on the Android platform. I will be working on ODK Services- Notification Project as a part of my GSoC project this summer. I would be developing a standalone Android application for field workers that would receive push notifications sent by their supervisors. The android application would communicate with ODK Service for authentication. I would also be making a desktop Java application through which supervisors can push notifications to their field workers.
I would be using Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) for this purpose. FCM is a cloud-based messaging solution that enables us to send messages and notifications at no cost.
The complete system would work in the following way:

1. Admin would create a ‘notification group’ in the desktop application.
  2. Clients can be added to a group either by clicking on an invite link sent by admin (just like WhatsApp Group link) or by admin specifying their username.
  3. Admin would be able to send notifications to all/ selected members through Desktop application.

All above steps are explained in details in the attached document.
This is my first open source project and working in such a wonderful community really excites me. I would like to thank all my mentors for selecting me for GSoC 18 and giving me such a great opportunity.

Link to project proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y98URDEpXrMvUq0c-PimGTnW3pzHr_M3VOd2EcHd-iQ/edit?usp=sharing
Any suggestions and advice are welcomed and would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Link to DIAL Grant thread discussed in call: DIAL RFP: Up to $25,000 USD available to improve ODK - #5 by paul_macharia - Community - ODK Forum