ODK-X Community Call - 2019-10-22

There is an upcoming community call for ODK-X to discuss roadmaps, governance, technical issues, and community concerns.

Everyone is encouraged to join and participate; these calls are intended to be driven by the community. But only TSC members may vote.

This call will be held at 2019-10-22T15:00:00Z in our UberConference room.

Notes from our previous call are available in this document.

Tentative agenda:

• Convening outcomes
  • Prioritization of issues (Roadmap)

If there are topics you would like to add to the agenda, please comment below :point_down:

I won’t be able to make it, but some topics I’d be interested in hearing more about…

1. Is it possible to have a standing meeting date and time? It’s easier for me (and perhaps others?) to participate if the meeting is at a predictable cadence.
  2. What is the current funding supporting ODK-X? What does that funding support and when does it run out? What plans are afoot to bring more funding to bear?

@yanokwa I am fairly confident we do have a regular call with a set time: I have it recurring on my calendar every other week Tuesday @10 AM CT (although it is set in UTC and so moves with daylight savings). This may not, however, be clearly communicated everywhere it should be, so let us know if there’s somewhere this should be more clearly stated.

Unfortunately I will be missing this next meeting as I’m vacationing in Germany + Austria. Here are some topics I was interested in:

• +1 to keeping the ball rolling on convening outcomes and roadmap. I will read through the meeting notes, but can someone follow up with me in Slack or email with any decisions or next steps for tasks with my name on them?
  • Debrief on results of governance changes. A lot happened at the convening and I think it would be helpful to enumerate the changes, how they affect us, and what our next steps are. Does this create any short term fires we need to put out (like funding for infrastructure)? This doesn’t need to be decided yet, but where do GSoC and similar shared projects lie?
  • I would also like to keep the ball rolling on the topics we wanted to talk about with TSC 1
    • Sharing ODK Notify. What is their interest level? What would it look like to share?
    • XForm compatibility. We would do the work, but would this sour relationships?
    • Generally, is there anything we can do to catch future tensions and discuss them earlier? Any channels of communication we can open up with them? I’m not even sure how we would go about asking the above questions.
  • DIAL Grants are probably coming up soon: https://www.osc.dial.community/grants.html In the past its been made clear that only one application should come from Open Data Kit as a whole. I wonder if this changes with the governance changes, and if not, what the new decision making process. Is this something we’re interested in applying for?

Obviously the people who actually attend should set the real agenda, but I wanted to share questions I had. At the next one I’ll also share some results from the GSoC Mentor Summit (in addition to the post I’ll make on the forum for the whole community).

I’d add it to the announcement of every call.

Hi all,

I drafted a summary Roadmap document with details from the last session at the Convening:

Hope that this contributes to discussion on the Roadmap and Convening outcomes.

cheers, Ben

je me nomme Germain MWEHA originaire de la RD Congo. je suis data manager au sein de Epicentre en RD Congo dans le projet Ebola où plusieurs enquêtes se font sur base de la technologie ODK. je suis bien ravis d’être membre du groupe.