[ODK-X] Customize the first page of ODK Survey

Hi

Is there any example showing how to customize the first page of ODK Survey to have links to multiple forms ?
For example :
Link1 => form11, form12, … form1X
Link2 => form21, form22, … form2X

Thanks

Karim

Hi, as far as I know and other may correct me on the details, this kind of setup is not possible with ODK Collect but can be done with certain tools such as SurveyCTO.

It is possible to create one form with a select_one question that leads the user down different paths thereafter using relevancies but I cannot be sure this would meet your needs without knowing more about how your different forms would interact.

I hope that initial info is useful. If you give a more specific example of what the forms are for it might help generate some more ideas from the community;

Noel

Hi @karim_bernardet!

This is very possible to have multiple forms in ODK-X Survey. You can have multiple forms that are entirely disconnected and enter them from the main Survey or Tables page. Here’s an example: Install the Sample Application — ODK-X Docs

You can also have forms that are linked (e.g. enter the school form, then enter the classroom form or principal form or teacher form from within the school form). Here’s some info on that:
https://docs.opendatakit.org/odk-x/tables-sample-app-install/

The ODK-X tools are very customizable in terms of custom screens as well. Here is some info on customizing the user interface:
https://docs.opendatakit.org/odk-x/injected-interfaces/

Hi @karim_bernardet!

This is very possible to have multiple forms in ODK-X Survey. You can have multiple forms that are entirely disconnected and enter them from the main Survey or Tables page. Here’s an example: Install the Sample Application — ODK-X Docs

You can also have forms that are linked (e.g. enter the school form, then enter the classroom form or principal form or teacher form from within the school form). Here’s some info on that:
https://docs.opendatakit.org/odk-x/tables-sample-app-install/

The ODK-X tools are very customizable in terms of custom screens as well. Here is some info on customizing the user interface:
https://docs.opendatakit.org/odk-x/injected-interfaces/

Hi
Thanks for the replies !
I have managed to do it in app designer but it doesnt work in ODK Survey :thinking:
I have attached the framework.xlsx.
In ODK Survey, I dont have Slocum, Seaglider and Seaexplorer, I have directly the forms for slocum.

framework.xlsx (13.8 KB)

Cheers
Karim

So in app designer, the initial screen in preview with chrome is a bit different than what you see on the tablet. The tablet shows all the tables and forms, whereas the app designer only shows the things you define in the framework so that they work in chrome. For survey, is it that you have extra or ones missing? Have you checked what you have in tables too? If you can describe a little more what you are trying to do that may be helpful.

Hi Caroline
On the tablet, I would like what I have on app designer. I mean if I click on “Slocum” (underwater glider), I go to the forms for Slocum. If I click on “Seaglider” (an other type of underwater glider), I go to the forms for Seaglider.

Cheers

Karim

Are these the names of tables/forms? What survey shows on the screenshot is the list of tables/forms. Are Slocum and Seaglider forms/tables?

“Slocum” and “Seaglider” are not forms (please look at the attached file).

framework.xlsx (13.8 KB)

So I saw previously that seaglier and slocum are branches in the framework. If there are not corresponding tables, then they won’t show up in survey or tables. Are there multiple forms for slocum and multiple for seaglider? If so, then those forms should show up, they just won’t be named slocum or seaglider. If you want a single entry point, then rather having this syntax in your framework, it should be in your “main” form and the other forms as subforms.

So I saw previously that seaglier and slocum are branches in the framework. If there are not corresponding tables, then they won’t show up in survey or tables. Are there multiple forms for slocum and multiple for seaglider?
I just want to separate on ODK Survey the slocum forms from those of the seagliders (which I haven’t done yet). And I am looking for the “best” way to do that.

If so, then those forms should show up, they just won’t be named slocum or seaglider. If you want a single entry point, then rather having this syntax in your framework, it should be in your “main” form and the other forms as subforms.

I think the answer of what is best depends on understanding more about the relationship between your different forms and whether the data is entirely separate or parts related.

One option if they are in part related is to have a main form, “Underwater gliders” where you enter common data and then sub-forms (tables) for slocum and seaglider.

A second option is to have two different forms, one slocum, one seaglider, that you enter and within it has sub-forms for the right type of vehicle.

A third option is to have two entirely separate apps – one slocum and one seaglider – but then you have to duplicate everything which may not be necessary in your case.

You can customize the workflow on Using ODK-X XLSX Converter — ODK-X Docs