ODK-X table of contents (toc) values

Howdy all,

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
When I hit “Back” in (an older version of) the Household Survey or choose “contents”, I get the table of contents list. It looks like this:
Household Members

This isn’t showing fields, but sections.

When I try this with app-designer-2.1.4, I get fields instead.
Household Members Section
Make a list of all individuals who normally
Who is the owner of the household?

I’d really like to be able to display groups instead of fields in the Contents. Is there a new approach?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

It seems to work in app-designer-2.1.2
It seems to misbehave in app-designer-2.1.4

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Check out the contents for households that ships with app designer, in each of the two versions.

Hi @tghoward!

So in general, the column hideInContents governs what is shown in contents. It generally defaults to everything being shown, unless you put TRUE and then whatever prompt gets suppressed.

I am guessing something changed in terms of hideInContents in the different files based on what you described. If you want to show sections in contents, then hide everything except section headers.

I don’t have v2.1.2 on my laptop to check, but certainly this explains what is happening in v2.1.4 which I do have and contents in general. Let us know if this explains it when you check v2.1.2.

Thanks for the tip. In v2.1.2, the values that are displaying are the display.title.text values from the settings page, where there are extra entries for each section.

I’ll try out hideInContents

Also, in v2.1.2, there is a column hideInContents on the household page, but it is not filled in, and that column doesn’t appear anywhere else. The sheet looks exactly the same to me in v2.1.4 but I could be missing something.

It may be that something changed in terms of what would default in contents – did hideInContents work to solve the problem?

Yes, sort of. It showing some interesting behavior. I have some fields on the survey sheet and then I have a bunch of ‘do section’ commands at the bottom of the survey sheet. As soon as I added the hideInContents column to the survey sheet, the TOC then showed the text I had added to the settings sheet labeling each section - like in the household spreadsheet. (it never had before)

I added the hideInContents column to all of my sections and turning fields on in these sections does nothing – the TOC simply uses what’s on the settings sheet.

On the survey sheet I tried adding display.prompt.text to a begin_screen line, but that did nothing. So I don’t seem to have a clean place to label my “group” (screen) within the survey sheet and have that show up in the TOC.

My final solution may be to move all fields to sections (as the households spreadsheet does).

It does look like there were some changes from 2.1.2 to 2.1.4 that had the inadvertent effect of altering the TOC behavior.

Thanks again.

I moved all my fields to sections and, with hideInContents in action, I like the behavior. Thanks again @elmps2018.