SQLite database encryption

Is there a way to encrypt my ODK SQLite database on my Android Phone?

Hi @Tshepo_Sotiya

It’s not possible, why do you need that?

Have you reviewed the documentation on Android Security Recommendations and Encrypted Forms? Would the options discussed in those solve your problem?

@Grzesiek2010: Because the data that we plan to collect might contain sensitive information.

@danbjoseph sorry I was not very specific. I need to use the encryption for ODK2.

Hi @Tshepo_Sotiya!

It’s great if you can specify the tool and use tags in the initial post to help us give the right answer quicker! For ODK-X (formerly ODK2) tools, the same general android tablet encryption options @danbjoseph mentioned (Android security recommendations - ODK Docs) apply. Those encrypt the tablet regardless of what software you are using. I don’t know if there’s any way to specifically just encrypt the database. But we did fieldwork with whole tablets encrypted and that worked fine.

Best,
Caroline

@Tshepo_Sotiya we have been running some experiments but do not have a proposed implementation for just the database yet. As @elmps2018 suggests the way to do right now is just encrypt the android device itself.