Default user account of Open Data Kit 2.0 Server

Hello,

I setup ODK Sync Endpoint on my machine and when I start the server, it asks for username and password as shown in the screenshot below.

Is there any default user account that I should use?

Thanks,
Belendia

Hi @bs,

We actually don’t set up any default ODK accounts; we leave that to you to set up via LDAP. LDAP is where you create and manage your users and groups. The users that log into the website are the same ones that you log into in ODK Services on the Android device and are used for access control: see Data Permission Filters Documentation for descriptions of these groups

I’ll assume you’re using the default phpLDAPadmin that comes with the Sync Endpoint default setup.

To access the phpLDAPadmin console

1. To access the management user interface, you need to access port 40000 with HTTPS. If your Sync Endpoint is hosted on your network at 127.0.0.1 then you would type the address: https://127.0.0.1:40000 into your browser. Your browser will probably complain about this being insecure and make you add a security exception. You might need to expose port 40000 if you are not accessing the server within its local network, but you should be sure to block port 40000 for security reasons when you are not updating users and groups.

2. Click: login on the right and login with the username “cn=admin,dc=example,dc=org” and the password “admin” (unless you changed the password when deploying your Sync Endpoint).

To add users

1. Expand the tree view on the right until you see “ou=people”.
  2. Click on “ou=people” and choose “Create a child entry”.
  3. Choose the “Generic: User Account” template.
  4. Fill out the form and click “Create Object”

To add groups

1. Expand the tree view on the right until you see “ou=groups”.
  2. Click on “ou=default_prefix” and choose “Create a child entry”.
  3. Choose the “Generic: Posix Group” template.
  4. Fill out the form and click “Create Object”

To assign users to groups

1. Expand the tree view on the right until you see “ou=default_prefix”, then expand “ou=default_prefix”.
  2. This list is all the groups under “ou=default_prefix”
  3. Click on the group that you want to assign users to.
  4. A few groups are created when the LDAP server is brought up, refer to Data Permission Filters Documentation for descriptions of these groups.
  5. If the memberUid section is not present:
    a. Choose Add new attribute.
    b. Choose memberUid from the dropdown, then enter uid of the user you want to assign.
    c. Click Update Object at the bottom to update.
  6. If the memberUid section is present,
    a. Navigate to the memberUid section.
    b. Click modify group members to manage members.

To create a site admin and log into the ODK web UI

1. Follow the instructions above to create a user.
  2. Assign that user to the group “default_prefix site_admins”. This is one of the default groups, you don’t need to make it yourself. It probably has the gidNumber 500.
  3. Return to the Sync Endpoint Web UI (what you posted above).
  4. Log in with the username and password for the user you created.

These instructions are adapted from the Sync Endpoint Instructions.

As mentioned above, you’ll also need to create users through these same methods to authenticate on your Android device.

Thanks so much @Jeff_Beorse. I was trying to access phpLDAPadmin using http rather than https and that was where I got stack.

Don’t worry, the same thing happened to me a few days ago and it took me half an hour to remember. I’ll look into clarifying the documentation around this.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Problems with login in to ODK 2.0 Server web-ui. Incorrect username or password

@Jeff_Beorse, Hi Jeff, I am having problems logging on to the Web-UI, I have gone through, step-by-step, created the LDAP user, connected the user to the “default_prefix site_admins” group. But I still can’t login? Where do I find the logs, to hopefully point me in the right direction?

See my reply here