Grunt -adb (Chrome error) - Windows

I have been using ODK-X for past 4years now. All of a sudden, my development machines are giving me an error “You must use a Chrome or Safari browser (note: this is tested only on Chrome)”. This is happening when I run grunt -adb. I have tested on both of my two laptops and I am getting the same error.

Below is the message appearing:

Anyone who might have encountered this before or who may have clue on how to resolve this please.

Likely, a newer version of chrome has a different method of obtaining the browser information. Or due to a new security update app-designer is having trouble determining the web browser.

Will require further research. However, you asked about have a clue.

I also got the same error, while trying to run the “grunt” command to load the ODK-X Application Designer.

Till the issue get resolved to access the app-designer on latest google chrome version, alternately installing Safari browser 5.1.7, the last stable version released by Apple for Windows, will help.

I have downloaded and installed Safari browser from this website: Safari Browser for Windows Download Free - 5.1.7 | TechSpot

It worked for me, but partially. Screenshot attached.

Thanks @W_Brunette
I downgraded my Google Chrome to a slightly older version (google-chrome-114-0-5735-199) and I am able to run perfectly well.

@Vivaswan - thank you, I will also install Safari Browser as an alternative.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this up - I’ve created an issue based on this problem…
Link to the issue on GitHub

//emil

2 Likes

It looks like the built in DB on Chrome was removed by default in M119

However, it looks like you can re-enable it until M123 (Mid-2024) by using chrome://flags/#web-sql-access

2 Likes