GSoC and Outreachy 2021 Project Ideas

Hi All!

The ODK-X community is planning to apply to participate in Google Summer of Code and Outreachy again this year. In this post I am hoping to start discussion, get help narrowing down project ideas, and fill in their details so that we can complete our application on February 19th.

In the last TSC meeting, we collected a list of possible ideas. I have collected that list into a Google Doc here. I am hoping to narrow that list down to around 3 to 5 ideas that are feasible for a GSoC or Outreachy student to achieve in a summer internship. For a sense of scope, projects should take about 175 hours to complete over a 10 week coding period (source). That is half the length of previous year’s GSoC projects.

We are certainly open to new ideas that are not on that list as well. Please feel free to add them directly to that document.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tagging @W_Brunette, @linl33, @Vyankatesh, @dexter21, @elmps2018

5 Likes

Mentors @W_Brunette @linl33 @Vyankatesh @dexter21 @elmps2018 could you mark which projects you think you could mentor?

1 Like

Hello, I am Rohan Kumar 3rd year undergrad from Bits Goa I am interested in contribute to ODK-X actually i looked at google docs for gsoc idea list mention here they were really good but I did not find any official idea list for this year can anyone share the link also can anyone suggest some beginner issue to work on.Thanks in advance .
_

Hi @Rohan_kumar! Great to hear of your interest! We are in the phase of coming up with project ideas and the official project list will be out soon! Stay tuned! In the meantime you can introduce yourself here!

2 Likes

Hi @Rohan_kumar! Glad to hear you are interested! As @elmps2018 said, we are still coming up with a list of projects. The next step is for our organization to apply to be a part of GSoC, but we may or may not be accepted! We will post our official project list in the future if we are accepted and can start taking applications. But for now, feel free to introduce yourself and get to know the community!

2 Likes

@Jeff_Beorse @elmps2018
Hello,
Im interested in contributing to ODK-X but I dont find any project idea related to web developement (React , NodeJs , Js , …)

Can you suggest some project related to that?
Best :slight_smile:

Hi @Ahmed! As you are new to the community, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself here.

I’d also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

If you are interested in GSoC or Outreachy, the contribution timelines for those don’t start until mid-March. If you are interested in contributing generally, the platform developer documentation is a good place to start!

@elmps2018
Yes, I can see that it hasnt started yet but I dont see any project idea related to web development.
Can you suggest one?

1 Like

Hi @Ahmed. Glad to hear you’re interested in ODK-X! As mentioned above, we haven’t been accepted yet, and even if we are accepted, we don’t know how many slots we will get, so we aren’t publishing a list of project ideas for students to try out.

We do have one idea that is related to creating new date pickers with web technologies (HTML, Javascript, CSS), so if we are accepted and can accept applications, you could certainly apply for that project. We could also talk about other possible ideas, maybe some improvements to the demo apps or new ones. Feel free to start with our getting startedpage.

3 Likes