ODK-X Sync Endpoint on my company's server

Hello,

I read the documentation and posts on this forum, and I found nothing explicit about the possibility or not of being able to install Sync Endpoint on a personal server, because we are only talking about Cloud with DigitalOcean, Azure and AWS . I want a simple or moderately simple way to retrieve my data from forms on my tablet. So some questions:

1. Is it possible to install Sync Endpoint on my own server which is located in my company office?

2. Is its installation as easy as on the Cloud?

3. Is there documentation for this?

4. Will it be possible to use Suitcase?

5. Can we use a cloud other than DO, Azure or AWS, like OVH?

6. I am currently using ODK-1, and version 1.6.1 of Aggregate is already installed on my server, should I use this option with ODK-X even if it is no longer supported?

Note that I have an Ubuntu server and that I have Tomcat and PostgreSQL installed. Also, that I have average computer experience and basic programming.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @Patrick30! As you are new to the community, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself here.

1/2/3. You should be able to install ODK-X Sync Endpoint on your own server, see custom database instructions here: ODK-X Sync Endpoint — ODK-X Docs

1. You can use suitcase to download from whatever address, see ODK-X Suitcase — ODK-X Docs

2. I am not sure the details for cloud services that aren’t documented, but the general pre-reqs are here: ODK-X Sync Endpoint — ODK-X Docs

3. The ODK-X tools are compatible with Aggregate v1.4.15 and are no longer recommended. See details ODK Aggregate Tables Extension — ODK-X Docs

@Patrick30 welcome to the ODK-X forum.

Yes. Sync-endpoint uses docker to deploy the services. Docker can be run on ubuntu. You actually do not need to have a database installed as docker automatically launches a database image if you use the default setup. (Of course you can use your own database as well but it requires more configuration).

It’s very similar to installing on the cloud as the cloud instructions simply install docker on an ubuntu linux VM. You can check the initial installation files for the cloud setup to see what is initially installed on ubuntu to prepare ubuntu to run docker. Example config file: https://docs.odk-x.org/_downloads/cloud_init_AZURE.yml

You can use any cloud provider that allows you to setup a docker stack. You will have to adapt to the linux VM setup to the alternative cloud provider as well as the networking firewall configuration.

2 Likes