ODX-X send data

Hi I want to explain to me I use ODX-x survey in tablet and I I have cloud endpoint droupbox and use boxencryper to encrypted data so when I upload and download the questionnaire and filled I send the export data and send from table in tablet so my equation here this data it save only in my Dropbox or the main server can access to my data encrypted so plz Answer my equation ASAP

Hi @noor_mohammed!

If you are using export of csvs and Dropbox + Boxcryptor, then only the users/admins of YOUR organization with the permissions for those folders would have access, no one else. I am not quite sure what you are referring to with a main server – have you set up a server with a sync endpoint as well? There is not any main server for ODK-X generally. If you set up a server only you would have access to that data. The ODK-X organization would never have access to your data.

P. S. I saw you post the same item in community as well – I deleted that, you only need to post once/in one spot!

1 Like

Thank you so much for reply ,here when I said main server I mean the ODX- X Central (server) …also I have another problem I see some thing when I send data from IO filemanger and put it in share folder in boxencryptor …so if the end user delete data from boxencryptor by mistake isee the all data also deleted from boxencryptor admin shared folder , so you have any solution for this problem or issues

@noor_mohammed I am confused as there is no ODK-X Central. There is ODK-X Sync-Endpoint and ODK Central.

This forum provides help for ODK-X Sync-Endpoint. Documentation Here: ODK-X Sync Endpoint — ODK-X Docs

ODK Central is part of the getODK. See https://forum.getodk.org

Open Data Kit was split into two projects see: https://opendatakit.org/

@noor_mohammed Hopefully @W_Brunette clarified that ODK-X tools do not involve ODK Central (these are different tool suites and not inter-operable).

Although we don’t specifically provide support for Dropbox or Boxcryptor, I can tell you from experience that Dropbox has a version history that you can use to restore files if you are an administrator for that folder. So if you go to the Dropbox web interface or app you can see the version history or deleted files. Version history overview - Dropbox Help https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/recover-deleted-files-folders

I haven’t ever tested restoring a file that was also encrypted on Boxcryptor so it would be good to check but should work.

On the ODK-X tools side, if an end user deletes an exported csv the data are still on the tablet (in ODK-X tables) so they can also export again, the data will not be lost.

I want you to explain to me more cause this is the first time to use this program so I work project with other company and this company create application by ODK-X and send opendatakit to me by Dropbox link and from my side in my tablet I install ODK-X survey and ODK-X tables and OI filemanger and Dropbox and Boxcreyptor so just from my side I download opendatakit from the link give it me from Dropbox so after that I create share folder in admin boxcreyptor linked with enumetor account so after that I export CVS file and send it from IO file manger and save it in share folder creypted in boxcreyptor this all what I do it so you are see this solution it is best to secure my data and also I want to know what is the best it is create ODK-X in server ?? and I want to know the server requiredment specification for server to install ODK-X in local server ,I need more information about that

2 Likes

Thank you for clarification

1 Like

Hi @noor_mohammed! So the ODK-X tools can be used in a variety of different configurations depending on project needs. There are cases that use it with NO internet at all, cases that export csvs and securely transfer those, and cases that use servers.

In terms of data security, in all cases, you always want to make sure your tablets are encrypted and protected with strong unique passwords. Then whatever system of getting data from the tablet to the office team you use, how you set that up (ensuring encryption, secure and unique passwords, etc.) is going to be the most important thing.

I have myself have used server options on some projects and Dropbox + Boxcryptor for other projects. The choice was usually based on which logistics were going to be easier. Both options can be very secure, but it depends on your setup. If you do not encrypt files/transfer, or make a bad password of abc123 for example, this is not secure no matter what setup you use. If you want to set up an ODK-X sync endpoint on a local server, here are the directions: Setup ODK-X Sync Endpoint Manually — ODK-X Docs and you’ll need to go on past this page to setup users, etc.,

Thank you so much for your clarification and support ,but I still I want you to explain me more so in my cases explain to me this mean am not use cloud endpoint I just work as offline and export csvs and send to my boxcryptor and my secure depend from my side in tablet only that is right and am not connected with ODK-X server that is right what you mean ??? …OK I have another equation [Setup ODK-X Sync Endpoint or cloud Endpoint ] why use this option and what is the benefit for use this option

1 Like

@noor_mohammed. Correct. If you are just working offline and exporting csvs to Dropbox/Boxcryptor, you are not connected with any ODK-X server.

If you want to use ODK-X Sync Endpoint instead to manage data, you have to do work setting up the server locally, setting up groups and permissions, and maintaining the server (making sure it stays up, solving any problems) and ensuring sync connections are possible throughout fieldwork. You then have the data all in one spot rather than in separate csvs. The cases in which we found the server particularly helpful were when we had to do things like transfer the data across teams (if one team needed to work on specific cases one week and another needed access to those cases the next week.), or where we needed to add more data during fieldwork or modify data from the central office. That workflow required the bidirectional synchronization that is possible with ODK-X servers. The cases where we did not use a server tended to be where the data just was collected and then submitted (securely) as csvs to the main office. Or when connecting to the server from the field was going to be very difficult (for example, no or very limited internet available).

1 Like

Thank you so much Caroline
It is clear to me now but thanks for your support , I want to make sure if I want to install ODK-X server locally so it is need High specification for server to setup setting or I can install in any windows not need windows server I want to know the requirement for server which windows ,the RAM ,the processor to let me to install ODK- X Server

Hi @noor_mohammed! If you want to install the ODK-X server locally, here are the details:
https://docs.odk-x.org/sync-endpoint-manual-setup/#sync-endpoint-manual-setup

If you are setting up the ODK-X server locally, you do need an underlying database:
https://docs.odk-x.org/sync-endpoint-manual-setup/#custom-database
which one is going to depend on your particular setup, we ran into problems in the past with some setups and database size but PostgreSQL has worked well and there’s a default setup on github GitHub - odk-x/sync-endpoint-default-setup: A cloud server to host data and application files, and to support bi-directional data synchronization across disconnected mobile devices.

There aren’t specific recommended specs (it will depend on the needs for your case), but you can search the Forum for discussion/examples like this: ODK Sync endpoint -- Where is data stored on the server? - #6 by Jeff_Beorse

@noor_mohammed as @elmps2018 mentioned the key role of Sync-Endpoint is to synchronize data between the mobile devices.

1 Like